ISLAMABAD: The National Assembly Standing Committee on Postal Services was apprised that Rs 4.6 billion business transactions made through Pakistan Post on daily basis in term of receipt and issuance transactions.

The meeting of the Standing Committee on Postal Services was held Tuesday in Parliament House under the Chairmanship of Syed Iftikhar-ul-Hassan, MNA.

The Ministry of Postal Services briefed the Committee about the performance of the Ministry and its attached departments. It stressed upon the need to enhance the budget of the ministry as the 80% of the current budget was allocated for the pensioners and salaries of the employees and the remaining 20% is not quite enough to meet the operational challenges.

The Committee decided to invite the representatives of the Finance & Planning Division in the next meeting in order to brief the Committee on the issue. It was further informed that the ministry has valued properties in most of the cities but unfortunately they do not have resources to get benefit of it.

The Committee recommended that Ministry should establish institutions like Colleges, Hospitals through Public-Private partnership so that revenue could be generated from these assets. It further recommended that Ministry may take effective measures to improve its infrastructure and also ensure quality services in order to compete with private courier companies.

 Earlier, Moulana Ameer Zaman, Federal Minister for Postal Services briefly apprised the Committee about the efforts being made by the Ministry for its betterment and problems faced by them in this regard.

 MNAs including Rana Muhammad Ishaq Khan, Ch. Khadim Hussain, Bhawan Das, Shah Jehan Bolach,  Shahida Rehmani, Engineer Hamid-ul-Haq Khalil,Asiya Nasir and Aisha Syed were present in the meeting.