ISLAMABAD: Accepting failure to overcome load shedding crisis, Minister for Water and Power Khawaja Asif has announced that the current power crisis will be overcome in the next eight to ten days.
Responding to a calling attention notice in the National Assembly on Wednesday on prolonged power outages, he said supply situation will gradually start improving from tomorrow.
Khawaja Asif said some power plants of 2200 megawatts are closed for the maintenance purpose. He said there will be no unannounced load shedding after the 1st of next month.
The Minister said that a power plant of 760 megawatt is being inaugurated in Sheikhupura today. He said currently the country is facing power shortfall of 5200 megawatt while 6400 megawatt of power will be added to national grid by the end of this year.
"Currently the country is facing a power shortfall of 5200 megawatts, however, 6400 megawatts of power will be added to the national grid by the end of this year," the minister claimed.
Member National Assembly Ijaz Jhkahrani said that recovery of electricity bills is duty of the government; it doesn’t mean the government disconnects the connections. On which the minister said that the government switched off feeders wherever the recovery in less than 70 per cent that improves the system.
The minister also claimed that Neelum Jehlum and Tarbela 4 will also be included into the system in February 2018, adding that Nandipur Power Project will provide 525 megawatts in May.
Meanwhile, opposition party walked out of the house over missing persons, asking the government to recover them and present before the Parliament. Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Syed Khurshid Shah said that case would be registered against the government if any happened to missing persons.
He said that the government is weakening strength of the parliament, complaining that no minister is giving answers to their questions in the house. “We asked about expenditures of the prime minister of last two years but no one has replied so far” he stated. The opposition leader said that a lady at airport was misbehaved but no action was taken by any authority.
He warned that they wouldn’t make any deal out of fear, explaining that the government cannot pushed them to the wall by taking their party workers. He said that there are banners in Lahore about support with the premier but no person was behind when Musharraf sent them to Saudi Arabia.