LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has suspended all-rounder Mohammad Nawaz, from all formats of the game for a period of two months after he confessed to the nation's Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) that he delayed in reporting to the board about an offer he had received from bookies during Pakistan's recent tour of Australia. The all-rounder has also been fined a sum total of Rs 200,000 by the PCB.

"A period of ineligibility/suspension of two (02) months has been imposed on Nawaz (first month suspension has commenced from 16th May 2017), one (01) month of which will be suspended upon fulfillment of additional conditions," a PCB release said.

"On 15th May 2017, Nawaz approached the PCB to initiate proceedings under Article 5.1.12 of the PCB Code and requested for 'Agreed Sanction', a meeting to hold discussions," the release added.

The 23-year old all-rounder had appeared before the ACU on May 8 at the Gadaffi Stadium, Lahore, in connection with a matter concerning a secret phone call which he had allegedly received during Pakistan's tour of Australia earlier this year. During the hearing, Nawaz had presented his case before the panel in relation to possible breaches of PCB's Anti-Corruption code.

Taking the matter forward, the PCB had then issued a 'notice of demand' to Nawaz in the continuation of its efforts to curb the menace of spot-fixing which rocked the nation - especially during the second season of Pakistan Super League (PSL). The notice was issued under Article 4.3 of PCB's anti-corruption Code and provisions were made to widen the investigations towards corruption - other than just those malpractices that took place during the PSL.

According to the clause of Article 4.3: "the PCB Vigilance and Security Department may at any time, as part of any investigation make a written demand to any participant to provide the PCB, in writing and/or by answering questions in person at an interview with any information that the PCB believes may be relevant to the investigation".

In its press release, the PCB stated that Nawaz was charged with a single violation of Act 2.4.4 of its anti-corruption code. The release further said that the player (Nawaz) had accepted the charges levelled against him by the PCB and confessed that he didn't report the approach by the bookies to the board's Vigilance and Security Department in a timely manner.

The board also mentioned that Nawaz's central contract will remain under suspension during the period of ineligibility.

According to the board, Nawaz's one-month suspension period will be revoked only if he satisfactorily compiles by the following conditions:

A) That there is no further/additional breach of the PCB Code by Nawaz after commencement of the period of ineligibility; and no previous breach of the PCB Code by the cricketer comes to light. If any such breach(es) take place, the board shall reserve the right to initiate separate and independent proceedings against Nawaz under the PCB Code.

B) That Nawaz, over the next six months, participates under the auspices of PCB in programs of Anti-Corruption education, which may include amongst other things, delivering lectures on Anti-Corruption at such places and to such audiences as the PCB Vigilance and Security Department deems fit.

C) That Nawaz would have to pay the PCB a fine of Rs 200,000.